Corrosion is the number one cause of poor auto battery life and performance. When this stuff builds on our battery connection points, they can put a stop to your easy startups. Fortunately, car battery corrosion is easy to detect and clean.
Battery corrosion is a chemical leak build-up from your vehicle's battery. It tends to collect on the terminals, posts, and cables. While corrosion is bound to happen when a battery gets old, you need to clean it off to keep extending your battery life.
Luckily, we’ve laid out the process in six simple steps:
- Disconnect the battery cables - The last thing you want to happen is for you to get electrocuted in the process of cleaning. Make sure you remove the negative cable first.
- Check for signs of damage - If you notice that the cables are frayed or the battery case is cracked or swollen, then you shouldn’t have to check. You’re due for a new car battery ASAP.
- Clean off the corrosion - If your car battery’s appearance checks out, move forward with a cleaner. There are commercial grade battery cleaners, but you can also DIY your own mixture with baking soda or coca-cola. Once you spot the white, green, or blue substance, rub the cleaning solution onto the corroded spot with a brush. You may notice bubbling, which means it is neutralizing. Be careful not to let the solution fall onto other components. You can remove the battery completely to make this step easier.
- Rinse and dry the battery - Once the magic is done, rinse the battery and cable ends completely with clean water. Let it dry.
- Apply preventative measures - Some people like to coat the terminals with petroleum jelly or Vaseline as a way to prevent corrosion from spreading.
- Reconnect the battery - Once you’re done with the steps above, please make sure you reattach the battery accordingly. You should start with the positive terminal first., opposite to how you disconnected the battery.
If you need help with battery service or replacement, please bring your vehicle to the professional technicians at Kwik Kar Auto Repair.